Friday, June 27, 2008

day 5 new york is still hilly, people are awesome

Slept alright in the pavillion last night except that I had afew anxiety dreams about town drunks coming and harrassing us and a dream where I was hanging out with my friends but I knew that I really had to get my bike tuned and I couldn't find the number to any of my favorite bike shops. I woke up and planned on riding a bike shop about 11 miles in the next town over, two miles from said shop I of course got a flat, I contemplated just walking to the shop but figured I'm going to have to do this at some point on my own anyways, in the process of changing the tire I found out I had the wrong size tube, a woman pulled over and offered to drive me to the shop, I piled into her back seat with my trailor and all and we made our way to the shop run by a guy named paul. He quickly got to work and fixed my gears. I asked if he had a rest room and to which he said we do but its really dirty, before I could say that I haven't showered in afew days and am happy just to not have to squat in the woods,he took me outside and gave me the keys to his car and told me to drive to the quick mart. I was beside myself. A person I had met only 5 minutes ago gave me the keys to his car. we're so ingrained and taught not to trust people and to always be skeptical and I've always been more inclined to give people the benefit of the doubt (this adds a layer to a personal conundrum I have with whether we either inherently good or capable of pure good but that's adifferent talk for another time) this guys gesture rekindled my faith in humanity. The rest of the day consisted of some more relentless climbs and a lot of sun.I found two ticks on me and managed to get another right at the end of the day. We are currently camped in a really nice little town called casenovia.its the kind of safe bubble town where kids get bmw's and jeeps on their 16th birthdays and are sent to private schools to secure their spots at ivys, which isn't at all a bad thing, but its not the kind of place that wants dirty cyclists camping out on public property, we tried a bunch churches to no avail and finally found a place on the outside of town.
Quote of the day: mmmmm chamois butt
Song of the day: yoshimi battles the pink robots- flaming lips

3 comments:

Geoffrey said...

Hi Claire,
Congratulations on your arrival in Cazenovia! I've always liked Cazenovia - it's a cute little town, and it has a scenic lake just west of town. You'll be passing several lakes in the next couple of days as you ride through the Finger Lakes - be sure to check out the lake views in Skaneateles, Geneva and Canandaigua. You'll also be passing within 37 miles of Ithaca (my home town), so you can wave to it as you ride by. You've got some more tough hills in store over the next 40 miles, but hang in there - once you get past Auburn, it's relatively flat all the way to Geneva. Good luck and keep up the good work!

Lauren said...

Ticks? Poor boo bear.

Litte Shipper said...

this helps rekindle my hope and love for society. ~Love, Mo