Saturday, June 28, 2008

3 flats in 18 hours and beastly climbs

Well today started out strong, we patched up our tires, had some delicious donuts and I was able to rock out to the local motown station that central new york has to offer.we checked the weather to find lightning bolts across the screen for the rest of the week and the weatherman actually said 'bombs away to new york' when describing the weather coming through. We made our way through the infamous pompey hills and this was honestly some of the hardest climbing I've ever experienced. You had to dig deep to make it up these hills. I'm usually able to play mental games and tell myself that I can do it because there's no way it can be harder than some of the toughest AT climbs. Today it was harder, I had to convince myself that every hard workout, all the months of training and pushing and sweat led me to this moment. Today we climbed to test our worth. I questioned several times whether or not I had it in me. On my way to the top as I teetered between feeling like I could prevail and feeling like I just maybe wanted my mom and a bath , a car drove past with one of those 'this car climbed mt. Washington', those stickers have always sort of pissed me off because they should say,' this lazy jerk forced his metal box up an amazing part of nature while his exhaust caused havoc on an already faltering eco-system and the whole time the kids are wondering where the next fast food joint is', maybe I'm bitter, but neither here nor there. Maybe I'll propose that they make one that says this cars owner used his heart and soul to climb mt. Washington. We made it to the finger lakes and the beautiful town of auburn where they just so happen to have a wegmans which is like crack to a hungry cyclist. We got giant sangys and are sleeping inside one of the local churches, the pastor is letting us use his shower and offered us some hot coffee in the morning. Not a whole lot more we could ask for.
Song of the day: stairway to heaven
Quote of the day:
Me: do you ever scared when we go down hill?
Goat: every single time, I pray for my life.

No comments: