Sunday, June 29, 2008

avon, ny i ran the race, i kept the faith

This morning I woke up well rested on a wrestling mat of the gym we slept in, we met the pastor at 6am for some breakfast and he told us about the town and we discussed the virtues of youth and how we are able to do this now. We stayed for his sermon and then hit the road which was so kind to us today. We were able to consistently average like 12-15 miles the whole day, much better than the agonizing 5 mph we were pulling in the beastly hills yesterday. We stopped at a walmart to resupply some dinners, cookies and gatorade. We passed like 5 walmarts today, which is good because I was afraid america didn't have enough, we cruised past some of the wine country and fingerlakes. After taking our afternoon break for a lemonade slushie we continued pedaling until a crazy storm unleashed its fury on us. We pulled over to a gas station and passed some time talking with a couple motorcyclists.as the rain died off a bit we decided to hit the road again, my adrenaline started kicking in and I went from being scared of lightening to singing bill withers at the top of my lungs while goat and I muscled our way up the last hills getting drenched by every car that passed. We stopped at a memorial for a cyclist who had been killed, they had painted a bike white and put his jersey up with a sign reminding people to be cautious and share the road, goat and I looked at eachother and got chills as cars sped past us. We are currently stealth camped in avon, ny under the cement overhang of a church. We are full of rice, contemplating chocolate protein powder and question whether biking cross country or hiking the AT is more demanding on your body.
Tomorrow we hit up lake erie.
Song of the day: if there's a driver on the road then let him have my load 'cause tonight I'll be staying here with you- bobby d
Quote of the day;I ran the race, I kept the faith.

1 comment:

Geoffrey said...

Hi Claire,

Congratulations on getting to Avon! Did you stop at Tom Wahl's in Avon by any chance? They have some great milkshakes! Anyway, I'm glad you made good time riding through the Finger Lakes today, and I wish you the best of luck as you ride on to Lake Erie tomorrow. You have a few more grueling hills between Avon and Buffalo, but it will be relatively flat once you get to the lake shore. Good luck and keep us posted!