Monday, June 23, 2008

day 1 .... 65 miles in the rain

So we got on the road around 7 and the first 15 minutes of the ride consisted of me cursing the trailor and its ability to make moving and falling over incredibly awkward and frustrating. We had rolling hills through wayland and waltham, it started raining on the way through waltham and route 20 essentially became a river, to the point that I questioned at what point your bike stops working when its submerged in water. We had lunch in front of a giant mall and were approached by aguy who has done 4 xcountry rides and was fond of saying, 'that can kill you by the way', he gave us some good pointers and then got a little awkward as it became apparent that he was going to tell us about every single storm he went through. As we were coming towards the park we planned to camp in, I stopped to check the map and we saw that we were right across the street from a giant church, not wanting to spend money on a wet campsite, we figured we had nothing to lose asking if we could camp there. We talked to this guy Tim, who called his supervisor to see what our options were. He then told us that for liabililty reasons, we couldn't really camp there, but they weren't going to call the police or chase us off, if we caught his drift, which we did. We sat and talked with him for a bit and then out of nowhere he said that the church would be happy to put us up in a motel, but we had to be in separate rooms since we aren,t married. I was speechless. We rode 4 miles down the road in torrenrial downpour with SUVs covering us from the head down in water as they sped past. I don't think I'll ever be so grateful to the welcoming red sign of an econo lodge as I was tonight. I've heard stories of people getting free rooms and stuff but never ever thought it would happen to me, and on the 1st day of this trip no less. Crazy. Also e.l fudge cookies might be my favorite riding fuel
Song of the day; elias by dispatch
Quote of the day: jesus saves, baby!

1 comment:

Geoffrey said...

Hi Claire!

Congratulations on finishing the first day of your ride! I'm sorry to hear about all the delays, and I'm sorry about all the rain, but I'm glad you made it to your destination and even got a free motel room. Did you ever get your trailer to work properly? I hope you get better weather for the rest of your ride! Good luck, and please keep us posted!