Thursday, June 26, 2008

day 4 new york has mad hills and orange salamanders.

Tonight we are camping under the local farmers market pavillion of a charming little town called richfield springs. When I asked some locals where the local police station to ask if we could camp, I was told that there is no local police station so I could ask the mayor or a man by the namr of john who is one of the trustees for this town. John was thankfully all for it. The first 30 miles of our day were in a semi chilly rain up and down relentless hills. In MA my philosophy with gears was to always leave myself an out, see how long I could push in like the 1/3 range and crank it out, new york has forced me to abandon this plan. These hills require the highest gear unless you want to blow out your knees or quads. We stopped for lunch at a local deli and refueled on some amazing grilled cheese. When you're biking cross country it important to sample each counties flavor. A woman was selling homemade fig newton type things and they were so good. We passed a lot of sheep and farms, a walmart distribution centers and a bunch of mobile home dealers. Mobile home dealing seems like such a strange business, its gotta be a ridiculous operation.treking up these hills has made me appreciate (sort of) the amount of energy it takes for trucks to carry mobile homes across the country. Anyways. I saw a mom and two baby deer run right in front of me and sign at a barn selling good luck summer kittens for 10$, it was very difficult for me to not go and look at the kittens and recruit a cuddly route 20 crusing sidekick, but that would have been a bad idea.we should out of the hills and into relatively flatter land as we head towards the lake.
Quote of the day: you guys are biking to oregon and the next 150 miles are going to be the hardest- the local deli guy

Think about your hardest climb on the AT and know that this isn't as bad as that YOU CAN DO IT! GRILLED CHEESE CAN HELP- me to goat as we crawled up a beast

Song of the day: it ain't no use to sit and wonder why babe, given you don't know by now... I gave her my heart but she wanted my soul, don't think twice its all right- bobby d

3 comments:

Tmoney said...

I stopped by our favorite REI Boston store and found a small white package with your name on it. Upon further investigation it was determined that it was a fancy new Mountain Hardwear Quark jacket that seemed to weightlessly hover up and out of its box. It sure looks fast and smells even faster. Wow. ROAAAR!!!!

Geoffrey said...

Hi Claire!

I'm glad to hear you're managing all right with the hills of upstate New York. I know they're tough - I've ridden over them many times. Did you have a chance to check out the Tepee Gift Shop or the Petrified Creatures Museum? Looking ahead, there's a nice town park in West Winfield, and if you or your cycling companion are into antiques, there are dozens of antique stores in Madison and Bouckville - and be sure to check out the scenic lake views in Cazenovia and Skaneateles. Hang in there, and don't let the hills get you down - it gets easier once you get past Auburn! Good luck and keep us posted!

Tucker said...

where were the orange salamanders? did you run them over? cause that would be gross.