Tuesday, July 1, 2008

team prest/schrader schrader/presta crosses another state line (finally)

Today we had some of the best weather I've seen so far this trip. We cruised past some more new york vineyards and made our way across the PA state line around lunch time, we stopped at mcdonalds for the only thing we ever stop at mcdonalds for apart from bathrooms. Sweet tea. Everything else is crap but this summer 1$ for 32 oz. Of cold glucose flowing liquid is the best deal a cyclist can handle on a hot day. I treated myself to a brief listen on my ipod and took in the into the wild soundtrack by eddy vedder, it made me think a lot about this trip, the boy, and the love/hate relationship I have with this country. Every town we go through everyone is trying to sell their suv, the cheapest gas we saw was for 3.99 in western mass, and every town has at least 2-4 cvs, rite-aide or walgreens on opposing corners. Plus walmarts and targets full of other crap we don't need. On one level everything looks the same, and from an outsiders perspective we have to look like complete idiots. I mean, I understand there are certain rules for fair competition on the market (although between you and me, in my heart of liberal passionate hearts I think that said rules exist because we say they do and thus we abide by them... but anyways), do we really need to clutter our land and streets with the same stuff? Do I sound like a typical skeptical angsty 20 something thinking I'm unique with these thoughts and cool because I can 'damn the man'? Absolutely.
Is my experience still valid because it is mine and mine alone? Sure.
Today I was almost taken out by a gentleman in a porsche cayenne. Let's stop and think about this for a second. I can respect a porsche for its fine craftsmanship as a fast machine. But a porshce suv. nobody needs a porsche suv. This is why we are jerks. No one is going to off roading in their porsche suv. The common man does not need a hummer h2. that is in fact the last thing we should be satiated with. Anyways... We rode into erie pa and a pastor by the name of dan offered us his home for the evening, we got shower, eat an amazing sandwich and dan took us out to see an amazing sunset over lake erie. It is gestures and generiousity like dan's that make me love this country and fuel a hope inside me, its the gems in their porshe cayennes and corporate homogeny that clogs our landscape and breeds future generations of idiots that challenges me. Some things you fight till the death.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who gives a shit if you sound like an angsty 20 something? Don't let anyone make you feel stupid for how you feel. (And really, I know you don't) But a lot of adults pull this BS about "when I was young..." to make us feel bad for things that they have sold out over, or bought in over. Just because they are fuck-ups and sell-outs they want us to be too. But keep that anger Claire. It's one of the many things that makes you badass.

Lauren said...

Amen sister. Amen.